Friday, April 4, 2008

Recycling: Schools in West Michigan- Bill

In December of 2002 Colleen joyfuly anounced to the congregation she was heading up an effort to begin recycling at Rockford High School. In January her update came as a concern and her joy was gone. I wanted so much to get involved, yet it wasn't my place to ask. I would have to step into her world, she must come to me. Colleen knows my involvement with Gov. Engler and has seen my Special Tribute Commendations, if she wants help she will ask. Months went by still nothing, , not a word even at our Calling group meetings. Then in May of 2003 at our last Calling group meeting she ask me if I would talk to her asst. principal Steve Lewis. I went to Rockford High the following Wednesday, and was told I had five minutes. It was the last week of the school year and Mr. Lewis is very busy. AS always, when I entered his office I looked for something to connect with him. There on Steve's wall was a wall hanger of a buck, I WAS IN!!! He said he shot it on a ranch in Texas, his brother buys cabinets from Quality Cabinets and this is the owners ranch. His name is, and we both said Bob Ladd. I told him I was employed at Quality Cabinets for several years, Bob and I are friends. Steve picked up the phone, they spoke of my character as a man and an employee in 1980. Steve and I spoke for forty minutes, then spoke about recycling. He told me I could do whatever I wanted to concerning recycling. I walked out of his office remembering I applied at Quality Cabinets because my transmission failed and I could no longer drive to my job. I sat out walking in hopes of finding a carpenters job in walking distance, I found Quality Cabinets a ten minute walk away. God truly has a plan for us, even when things go bad, it's for a reason.

No comments: