Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Distaster Response : Pearl River -Bill and Penny.


Traveling to Pearl River over Easter week was just what we needed. Stopping to spend the night in McComb started the trip so spiritually. After spending four months volunteering while living at the Fergason house, entering McComb seemed so natural to me. After several stops at homes where I had worked, the people made me feel like I'd returned home. By returning I found our friendship went to a new level. They believe I want to be friends,there is no other reason for me to be there. For the rest of my life, I have family in McComb Mississippi and each of the many family members are so special. Penny now sees what I stated to each group of volunteers is true, "there is more than one definition of disaster response." When New Windsor opened sites in LuceDale and McComb it was to help the forgotten folks from the hurricane. Words don't begin to describe what we have done for race relations in Mississippi. As Zach Patterson ( the first black Mayor of McComb ) said " Never have so many white folk traveled to McComb to help so many black folk". We left McComb glad to have stopped and a little homesick as to so much love shown us. This will always seem like home to me. Pearl River is just an hour south of McComb. so how did we end up in Pascagula? We had planned on spending the night in New Orleans, but instead I wanted to show Penny where and how I spent over five months in 2006. We went to Vancleave where I lived on Ridgeland road. I spent months being led to so many people. I would give them two or three days free labor and move on to find someone else to help. Penny and I woke up to a beautiful Easter day and drove to New Orleans by state highway 90. Our response site was Pearl River, we worked in the Ninth Ward. There is still so much to do, we split into two groups and did the Lords work all week, plus got to know each other better. Ed and Becky Motley were the directors, I know them from McComb and was so glad to see them. Bob and Marrianne Pitman were there along with Lee and Trudy Stamy, and Amy Fishburn (BVSER). This week was yet another example of what can be accomplished as a denomination when we are all on the same page

No comments: