Thursday, April 3, 2008

First Disaster Response - Church of the Brethren-Bill

Massac Co. Illinois had been hit with several tornadoes on May 6,2003. Church of the Brethren Disaster Ministries opened a site on the southern tip of the state in late September. Not long after the site was opened a director from Hope left to head up the site for a month. He is a wonderful yet humble man so I won't use his name. I received word through our Pastor requesting me to come down, the Kansas District was there with no persons with framing experience. They were about to start a new home and needed a framer. I love framing and said I would be happy to go,but preferred not to take a leadership roll. After arriving I found myself in a leadership roll and having a great time doing the Lords work for a complete stranger. After just returning from Arctic Village and truly beginning to understanding the philosophy of the church of the Brethren opened my mind to new thinking. The connections I made with folks there opened my eyes to a new calling in life and the opportunity to meet incredible people throughout our denomination. I came home with a new love for service and again more gratitude for Gary for holding down my home front, along with his own. He was glad to hear my story,glad for the people I was used as a tool to help, not so glad knowing there would be many more trips and more favors of him. This chapter will take me all over the country with much to share. Little did I know the strength it would bring to my story to share with so many youth.

No comments: