Thursday, April 3, 2008

Habitat for Humanity of Kent Co. - Bill

Frank Townsend, a lifetime member of Hope Church of the Brethren founded Habitat for Humanity in West Michigan. I never met Frank but heard so much about him, at Hope as well as the entire region. One Sunday at church his daughter Peg spoke so lovingly about her dad, and the two Habitat houses being built in his name. Peg inspired me to volunteer the following day, something I'd thought about for years. The following day I met many volunteers and really felt good about this act of love. What stood out the most was a black guy on a bike stopping by a group of white guys to express his gratitude for us being there. This took me back to Marshall, to jail and to church and the first times I listened to black men and women express themselves. This was new and very powerful to me. as I was raised in an all white community. I also met Bill that day, he is the construction head for Kent Co. and we worked together as if we had been co-workers for years. He told me later that he will never set truces again without thinking of me. This week of framing in 2002 started a multi avenue support effort which will make me part of Kent Co. Habitat for Humanity for ever. To date I've volunteered in nine cities in five states. I've taken a leadership with volunteers, youth on probation, youth offenders in honor camps, jail inmates, and prison inmates. My entire involvement will be many chapters of my book.

No comments: