Thursday, April 10, 2008

2005: Jimmy Carter Work Project- Bill

As the project approached I became more excited about meeting Jimmy Carter. I would travel to Detroit, work and break bread with the group invited to work with the former President. I'd worked hard for Habitat for Humanity and had earned the right to meet Mr. Carter. I was asked to stay in Grand Rapids and be a skilled leader for a group from Illinois. I just didn't want to, this is about me and getting paid back for so much of my time and effort. June 20, the first morning, we were waiting for the group from Willowcreek Church and I was feeling sorry for myself. I'd been given the youngest group because I work with youth in so many areas. I wasn't excited until the buses pulled up,WOW!!! One-hundred sixty people from one church, I had no idea how big Willowcreek Church was until now. For many reasons this became one of the most spiritual weeks of my life. Spiritual for me, the group, the homeowners, and their neighbors. The ripple effect has been as meaningful and personal as the week itself. I will never forget " The SHED Crew " and I look forward to each time we cross paths. I've used this act of Love as an example to inspire so many youth to a time of service.

No comments: