Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Visiting Churches,Black Congregations In Texas - Bill

As we left the second jail that Sunday morning, Rebecca asked me if I would like to go to church with her. I said, "Of course, I would love to." She said, "We will be the only white people in church, does that bother you?" I said, "After the past four hours how could it? Let's go." The Assembly of God in Marshall, Texas had about one hundred fifty members and very few white people. As we entered all eyes seemed to be on me; being with Rebecca helped ease any ones apprehension. Rebecca took me to meet the Pastor. After we shared a bit, he asked me to share with his congregation. I asked him, "What about?" He said "Tell them what you think about black people". I stood before this congregation and spent twenty minutes telling them what I thought of black people. They began taking up a collection and gave me a $272 love gift. I noticed they were filming. What I didn't realize was this was for a cable channel...I was being broadcast across the entire region! Over several visits I developed quite a following and the love gifts increased, the most recent a $2100 love gift. The reason being is I would leave the money in each community, at homeless shelters, recycling centers ect. I found this type of sharing is very appealing to me.

No comments: