Monday, October 26, 2009

FT. Wayne Rescue Mission: Bill

Giving of one's self is such an easy process. It's a matter of making a conscience decision that you will follow your heart and God's plan for your walk in life.
I now know part of my job is to cook and serve the homeless. I've began by arriving at the FT. Wayne Rescue Mission at 5:30 am on Weds. and Fridays. I help prepare breakfast while hearing so many stories of folks that are evolving as I did. Learning that there is help for each of us when we're ready to realize that Jesus is waiting for us to simply ask. Some of us wait longer as we slide into yet further trouble and heartache before we just trust that we all have a path to happiness. I listen and am so thankful I believe in the path I'm walking.
Mike speaks that after 24 years he has a drivers licence. That he has finally stopped walking alone and has gave it all to Christ. Mike has so many jailhouse tattoos, so many years in prison. Mike has been reborn. I so enjoy uplifting him as we work together.
The food being prepared is fresh and nutritious. I wish everyone had such a breakfast. By 6:30 am the folks staying at the shelter line up to eat. At 7am the doors open and the "street people " and the working poor arrive. The conversation isn't that different from most breakfast eatery's. They speak of current events and over night happens. Talk of their planned days and struggles fill the air, yet they're so different, so looked down upon.
I so look forward to sharing the stories of these unique people and what I've learned about myself as I do my job.

No comments: