Monday, August 19, 2013

Circle, Alaska 2013: Bill and Penny

After weeks of preparation, I landed in Fairbanks. The smell of spring was nowhere in sight. No gardening supplies had even hit the selves, and Eagle Summit was impassable most hours of the day. Traveling south to Randy's brought slide offs in the mountains with several trucks. I creeped along at thirty miles an hour.
Over the next four days any problems I faced worked themselves out. Randy was an hour and a half early and off to Circle we went knowing the village was under water from the ice breakup. Ice sheets larger than houses that damaged or destroyed so many homes. The only store for one hundred- sixty miles had four feet of water, and was closed for three weeks. I was asked to go home and start next year.
I will soon begin sharing how this was by far the best experience we've ever had in Alaska. Part of the reason, all the years in Arctic Village. Long before we left, we were so sad about leaving. What made that special,  Ann coming with us. This will take some time.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

11-1-13
Hi Bill and Penny,
your mom and Deb have been visiting me these days by way of Cata Bus. It was wonderful waiting and watching for their arrival. they have been raving about you and Penny,she [ur mom] sent me articles of your many adventures. I already was aware of your travels ,but they gave us more current updates. We are very proud of both of you...keep up the good work.

Love
Aunt Betty and Uncle Arn

Our email address is .... abrodriguez7579@gmail.com